What is bactrim?
Bactrim is a peroral medical product with antibacterial action which contains two active ingredients: sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim.
The combined antibiotics have a broader spectrum of action as to the morbific microorganisms, and therefore their application causes a faster and more intense medical result.
Bactrim affects most known causative agents of the infection. It contains two active ingredients at once, and therefore the resistance is poorly developed to this antibiotic.
Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim block the work of the enzymes which activate the stage of the secondary replication of folic acid in the microorganisms. As a result of the disorder of folic acid synthesis in the bacteria cells, there is a destruction of the cellular wall, and so bacteria die.
Due to the interaction of two active ingredients, the bactericidal effects is achieved in the concentrations when these medicines separately would cause only a bacteriostatic action.
Who is prescribed Bactrim?
Bactrim is prescribed patients with inflammatory diseases of the infectious origin:
- Cystitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, gonorrhea, prostatitis
- Typhoid fever, cholecystitis, salmonellosis
- Sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media, pharyngitis
- Chronic and acute bronchitis, pneumonia
- Acne, abrasions
Bactrim is pointless during viral infections because the bactericidal antibiotics do not show the antiviral activity.
In what dose is Bactrim taken?
The dose of Bactrim can be different in each medical case depending on the type of the infection, site of the inflammatory-infectious disease, severity level, age and body weight of a patient.
Before buying Bactrim it is necessary to have a medical examination and get a scheme of the treatment.
- One tablet Bactrim contains two active ingredients: 400 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 80 mg of trimethoprim.
- Patients over 12 years are prescribed the minimal dose of Bactrim – 1 tablets per day (one tablet Bactrim every 12 hours)
- In case of the weak antibacterial effect, it is possible to increase the dose and taken 4 tablets of Bactrim per day (one tablet Bactrim every 6 hours)
Children under 12 years are mainly prescribed the antibiotic in the form of suspension for the peroral use or injections. It will help to avoid the side effects of the gastro-intestinal tract and improve the uptake of the active ingredients into the systemic blood flow.
Bactrim should be taken within 7-14 days. After the disappearance of the disease symptoms, the medication is taken at least for 48 hours in order to destroy bacteria completely.
Possible side effects
The most common side effect of Bactrim is a digestion disorder. In order to reduce the intensity of the side effects of the GIT, take tablets during meals.
Headache, nausea, dizziness, feeling of fever, flashes, fatigue are the side effects which appear seldom as a result of the increased allowed daily dose.
In order to prevent the appearance of candidiasis of mouth, one tablet Fluconazole 150 mg should be taken on the 3d day of taking Bactrim.
- The daily dose may be reduced by two times during renal failure
- Bactrim is taken with cautious in case of thyroid diseases, bronchial asthma, and deficit of folic acid.
- Pregnant women are contraindicated Bactrim. The active ingredients can penetrate through the placental barrier and cause pathologic changes in the fetus development
- During the use of Bactrim it is necessary to use the additional barrier methods of contraceptive because the antibiotic lowers the efficiency of the hormone contraceptives.