Main information about Doxycycline
Doxycycline is able to neutralize the activity of the morbific microorganisms and stop a development of the infection. This is an antibiotic from the group of tetracyclines which provides a bacteriostatic action.
Doxycyclineisactiveastomanypathogenicmicroflora. The list of the sensitive microorganisms includes representatives of the group of staphylococci, streptococci, Listeria, Salmonellaspp., Treponemaspp., Enterobacterspp., Mycoplasmaspp., Chlamydiaspp., and others. Doxycycline acts as to some fungi.
The use of Doxycycline helps to reduce an inflammation and degree of the affection of cartilage of the locomotor system. It is used in the complex therapy during osteoarthritis.
A range of the application of Doxycycline is broad. Doxycycline shows a high efficiency and a good bioavailability even in the treatment of the strains resistant to beta-lactam antibiotics.
Indications for the use
- Ophthalmic infections
- Gynecological/urological infections (including sexually transmitted diseases – syphilis, chlamydia, etc.)
- Infections of the abdominal cavity
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, bones, joints, skin, bile ducts
- Prevention of postoperative infections, fever, malaria
Administration and dosage of Doxycycline
To treat gynecological/urological infections, a pill of Doxycycline 200 mg is used per day within 5-7 days. To treat syphilis, the daily dose of Doxycycline is 300 mg. The treatment is continued within 10 days.
To treat acne, it is necessary to take Doxycycline 50 mg per day within 2-3 months.
If infectious diseases of HENT, respiratory tracts and eyes, a standard daily dose of Doxycycline 200 mg is prescribed. The treatment lasts for 5 to 12 days depending on the severity of the infection and an evidence of the medical effect.
It is very important to take the pills of Doxycycline entirely, without breaking the cover. The pills are used during or after meals.
Recommendations for the use
- As any tetracyclines, Doxycycline is not prescribed children under 12 years old. It forms indissolvable compositions with calcium ions, so that problems may occur during the formation of enamel and bone tissue
- In case of the severe renal failure, leukopenia, and porphyria, the administration of Doxycycline is contraindicated
- To prevent a development of the pathologies in fetus, Doxycycline is not used during pregnancy and lactation
- Retinol causes the increase of the intracranial pressure during the interaction with Doxycycline
- Do not take the pills of Doxycycline with grapefruit juice. To reduce a risk of the side effects in the gastro0intestinal tract, the pills of Doxycycline should be taken with a gull glass of water
According to the data of the medical studies, the use of Doxycycline may be accompanied by moderate or light side effects: nausea, diarrhea, discoloration of tooth enamel, dysbiosis, and dizziness.
The side effects may grow during the overdose or alcohol consumption.