Main information about Effexor
Effexor is a medication that will help to overcome depression and a long-term stress. This is the first antidepressant of the third generation that contains an ingredient Venlafaxine.
The efficiency of Effexor has been confirmed by many medical studies. A specific mechanism of the action of Venlafaxine quickly reduces the symptoms of the depression and neurosis.
Effexor is a serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. It does not cause the increase of these ingredients in the brain but enhances a sensitivity of receptors to the action of these neurotransmitters. Serotonin is able to quickly restore an emotional stability and return a good mood.
Noradrenaline improves the cognitive functions, improves a concentration, increases psychomotor reactions and helps to make quick decisions.
Effexor does not work to treat anxiety or panic disorders. Due to the increased level of noradrenaline, there is an expectancy of acute condition of these pathologies. That is why, the main indications for the use of Effexor is depression. This drug inhibits the symptoms of endogenic, exogenic, and chronic depression regardless of its severity and patient’s age.
Administration and dosage of Effexor
The pills of Effexor should be used during meals 2 times per day. The antidepressant should be used at the same time in order to achieve a stable concentration of Venlafaxine in the blood plasma.
The depression treatment should be started from the minimal dose of Effexor 37,5 mg 2 times per day (in the morning and evening). In 3-4 weeks, if a medical effect appears, the efficiency of this dose should be estimated, and it is necessary to decide on increase of the daily dose of Effexor.
To increase an antidepressive effect, the dose of Effexor is increased up to 150 mg per day (75 mg of Effexor in the morning and evening). This is the maximal daily dose that may be used at home. In the hospital, it is allowed to use up to 375 mg of Effexor per day but only under doctor’s supervision.
The maintaining therapy may last for 6 to 12 months depending on the evidence of the depression symptoms.
Recommendations for the use
- Senior patients should not lower the daily dose but only if they do not have chronic pathologies of heart/kidneys/liver.
- If you have had myocardial infarction or stroke in the past 6 months, Effexor is not recommended for the use
- The use of Effexor is strictly prohibited during renal/hepatic failure, severe pathologies of the cardiovascular system, and administration of MAO inhibitors
- To eliminate a development of pathologies in a child, Effexor is not used during pregnancy and lactation. If your doctor prescribed you this medicine for the treatment of the post-natal depression, terminate the breast-feeding
- Depression is involved in the high risk of suicide. This risk is kept till the remission moment, and suicidal thoughts may grow within the first two weeks of using Effexor. So, a patient should be controlled
According to the results of the medical studies, the frequency and a degree of the side effect of Effexor is lower than in other antidepressants. But despite this data, there are cases of the side effects in patients of the different age. These are headache, dizziness, nausea, indigestion, insomnia, decreased appetite, muscle cramps, and ejaculation disorder.