What is Fosamax ?
Fosamax is a highly effective medication to restore and improve a bone tissue during the treatment and preventive measures of osteoporosis.
Fosamax contains alendronic acid which belongs to bisphosphonate bone resorption inhibitors according to the international classification.
Fosamaxdoes not take part in the formation of the new bone tissue. Alendronic acid is localized in the sites of the active bone resorption and slows down a destruction of the bone tissue.
Due to the inhibition of the processes of disorder of the bone tissue, patients have a progressing increase of the bone mass, the content of the bone tissue is improved and the risk of fractures us reduced.
The results of the medical studies have proved the efficiency of Fosamax in the recovery of the microstructure of the bone mass. The laboratory data of patients shows a significant reduction of calcium level in urine and breaking markers of bone collagen.
In what cases is Fosamax prescribed?
Fosamax may be taken by both men and women during the first signs of osteoporosis. Doctors recommend taking Fosamax for:
- Preventive measures of osteoporosis in women during menopause
- Treatment of osteoporosis in the period of postmenopause (to prevent fractures of the most vulnerable parts: thigh and spine)
- Osteoporosis treatment in men
- Recovery of the bone tissue after the consumption of glucocorticosteroid medicines
- Treatment of Paget disease (ostitis and osteosis)
How to take Fosamax?
Fosamax is released in the pills for the oral use. The pills are taken 30 minutes before meals, with a glass of water only. Other drinks (juice, milk) slow down the uptake of the active ingredients of the drug.
- Treating osteoporosis in women during menopause or osteoporosis in men, it is recommended to take 1 pill of Fosamax 10 mg per day, or 1 pill of Fosamax 70 mg once per week.
- Treating Paget disease, patients are recommended to take 40 mg of Fosamax per day within 6 months and more.
- The dosage regimen of Fosamax may be adjusted depending on the intensity of the osteoporosis symptoms.
- The length of the treatment should be indicated by a qualified doctor on the basis of the prior data of the laboratory tests. Fosamax is taken till the complete regression of the bone resorption.
- To eliminate the irritation of the mucous membrane of esophagus, it is necessary to take the pills of Fosamax in the upright position. Do not take the pills before going to bed. It is better to take Fosamax in the morning, after awakening.
- Fosamax oils should be taken with still water to avoid the irritation of the mucous membrane of the stomach
- Taking Fosamaxenough calcium should be consumed with meals
- Vitamin D consumptions is increased during the treatment.
Fosamax is not recommended during gastric ulcer, gastritis, vitamin D deficit, and hypocalcemia.
Osteoporosis treatment with Fosamax is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation.
Non-steroid anti-inflammatory medicines increase a negative action of alendronicacid to the gastro-intestinal tract.
Possible side effects
As all biophosphonates, Fosamax can cause irritation of the mucous membrane of the GIT, and therefore this medication has such side effects as stomachache, dysphagia, heartburn, flatulency, diarrhea, and nausea.
Seldom adverse reactions of the body to the use of Fosamax can be irritation, intense reduction of calcium and phosphate level, headache, and myalgia.
Read the instructions carefully and adhere to all doctor’s recommendations to avoid side effects while taking Fosamax.