What is Neurontin ?
Neurontin is an antiepileptic medical product which is actively used for the treatment of the convulsive attacks and neuropathic pain.
Neuropathic pain affects the work capacity of the human and is diagnosed in 7-8% of people of Europe and USA according to the data of various medical departments. In case of the delayed treatment, a syndrome of the chronic neuropathic pain is developed which is hardly cured.
The modern Neurontin is able to reduce the intensity of the neuropathic pain and restore the central nervous system. Its action is conditioned by the anticonvulsive activity of Gabapentin (the basic active ingredient).
The exact mechanism of the pharmacological action of Neurontin is not completely studied but there is data that this Gabapentin penetrates into the subcortical structure of the brain and into neural chains of the central nervous system. In case of the break of the neural chains, Neurontin penetrated into this area and restores the central nervous system.
Neurontin has been approved by FDA due to its high pharmacological safety. Unlike other anticonvulsive drugs, Gabapentin does not cause serious side effects of the central nervous system. Apatientfeelsonlypositiveactionof Neurontin.
In case of the prolonged use of Neurontin, it does not cause a medical addiction in spite the fact that it actively acts in the central nervous system. Neurontin does not provide a stimulating/inhibiting action to the central nervous system but it restores the natural processes which should happen in the human body.
In what cases is Neurontin prescribed?
The anticonvulsive Neurontin is prescribed for the convulsive attacks (epilepsy) in adults and children over 12 years, and also during the resistant form of epilepsy in children at the age of 8-12 in the combined therapy.
Neurontinis reasonable considered one of the best products for the treatment of the neuropathic pain in adults during the various affections of the central nervous system.
In what doseis Neurontin taken?
Neurontin does not depend on food, and that is why the pills can be taken both before, and after meals.
The dosage regimen of Neurontin is selected individually depending on several factors: level of the intensity of the symptoms of neuropathic pain or epilepsy, age of a patient, relevant chronic/acute somatic diseases.
- To treat convulsive attacks (epilepsy) patients over 12 are prescribed 300 mg Neurontin 3 times per day (the daily dose is 900 mg)
- In case of the acute symptoms of epilepsy and frequent convulsive attacks, the dose can be increased up to 900 mg of Neurontin 3 times per day (the daily dose is 3,6 g Neurontin)
- Children are prescribed the dose individually according to the body weight of a child
- In case of the neuropathic pain, the same dosage regimen is used.
The treatment lasts till the complete disappearance of the neuropathic pain or convulsive attacks. In case of the prolonged use of Neurontin in high doses, a regular control of the function of the important organs and doctor’s supervision are required.
Recommendations for the use
- To restore the affected central nervous system, it is necessary to take Neurontin on a regular basis, without missing any dose
- The daily dose of Neurontin should be reduced during pancreatic diabetes, and also chronic dysfunction of kidneys/liver
- Neurontin application can cause a withdrawal syndrome when a severe convulsive attack is appeared. Therefore, the treatment is terminated gradually within 2-3 weeks by reducing the daily dose up to the minimal one.
- Do not take medical products, ethanol, and other products which give a stimulating/inhibiting action to the central nervous system during the treatment.