Main information about Topamax
Topamax is used during uncontrollable spasms caused by the different diseases: epilepsy, tetanus, or neurosis. This drug contains Topiramate.
At first, Topamax has been developed for the treatment of epilepsy. This is one of the strongest anti-epileptic drugs which increases the activity of GABA-receptors. During the increased activity of GABA receptors, synthesis of the gamma-amino-butyric acid is increased which provides a sedative action to the central nervous system and slows down an agitation of neurons.
The medical studies have detected that Topamax provides not only anti-epileptic action but also analgesic, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory actions.
Topamax helps to relieve headache during migraine, remove side effects during food poisoning, alcohol or narcotic intoxication, and cope with neurosis and nervous irritability. A pharmacological action of Topamax is dose-dependent, and therefore it is necessary to choose an optimal dose in every medical case to increase or reduce the action to the central nervous system.
Use and dose of Topamax
To achieve an optimal control of the epileptic attacks in children and adult patients, it is necessary to begin the treatment of epilepsy from the minimal doses of Topamax. The optimal dosage regimen of Topamax for the epilepsy treatment is as follows:
- 1-2d weeks: 1 tablet Topamax 50 mg in the morning and evening
- 3-4th weeks: 1 tablet Topamax 100 mg in the morning and evening
- 5th weeks: 1 tablet Topamax 150 mg in the morning and evening
- 6th weeks and then: 1 pill Topamax 200 mg in the morning and evening
- The maximum daily dose of Topamax is 400 mg divided into 2 doses
The pills of Topamax should be used at the same time with a full glass of water. Do not skip any dose, and if you accidentally forgot to take a pill, do not take the double dose. Wait for the next use of Topamax and continue the treatment as usual.
If frequent migraines, Topamax is taken in the dose of 25 mg before sleeping and 1 pills in the dose of 25-50 mg is used during migraine attack.
Recommendations for the use
- A cessation of Topamax is gradual in order to avoid an acute condition of the convulsive attacks
- In case of the prolonged use of Topamax, the body weight may be decreased by 5-10%. A reduction of the body weight happens by means of the burning of the fatty deposits.
- Antidepressants lower the efficiency of Topamax, and therefore the scheme of the treatment should be adjusted
- Topamax may be used only by patients over 2 years old
- Topamax does not provide a pathologic action to the fetus development, and therefore the use of this drug is not contraindicated during pregnancy. Your physician should make a decision about prescribing Topamax during pregnancy
An intensity of the side effect of Topamax depends on an individual sensitivity to Topiramate and a correct daily dose. The following side effects often appear during the use of Topamax:arrhythmia symptoms, dizziness, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, psychomotor retardation, dyspepsia symptoms, and decrease in visual acuity.
If the side effects do not pass within 10-14 days, consult a physician.