Main information about Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is an antibacterial product which is widely used in the medical practice for the infection treatment. This medicine has been probably prescribed to every person to treat infectious diseases.
An advantage of Amoxicillin consists in its fast action and high level of the pharmacological safety. Using this antibiotic, a standard therapy of the infectious diseases lasts by two times shorter. According to the results of the studies, the side effects appear only in 2-3% of patients.
An improvement is observed in 2-3 days after the beginning of the use of Amoxicillin in the treatment of the infections. This ingredient destroys important ingredients of the bacterial cells and prevents their development on the stage of the division and growth. Asaresultofthisprocess, bacteriolysis happens.
As many penicillins, Amoxicillin has a very broad action. This is in fact a universal antibiotic which can be used in the treatment of any infections of:
- Respiratory System
- upper respiratory tract
- Renal and urinary system
- Abdominal cavity, including gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer
- skin, soft tissue, mucous membranes
- brain and spinal cord
- cardio-vascular system
Administration and dose of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin may be used by adults, children and senior patients over 65 years old. This antibiotic is well tolerated in all age groups and does not cause side effects. An individual daily dose is prescribed according to the age, body weight of a patient and an infection severity.
Patients over 10 years old with the body weight more than 40 kg are recommended to take a pill of Amoxicillin 500 mg 3 times per day to treat infections. Incaseofthesevereinfectiousprocesses, a one-time dose may be increased up to 1000 mg 3 times per day.
Children under 10 years old with the body weight less than 40 kg are prescribed 125 to 250 mg of Amoxicillin 3 times per day.
Senior patients should not lower the daily dose, if they do not have severe diseases of the kidneys. In case of the kidney diseases, the daily dose is usually lowered by 30-50%.
Amoxicillin is used for 5 to 14 days depending on the severity of the infectious process and a site of the infection.
Recommendations for the use
- during some infections, Amoxicillin may be affected by beta-lactamase, and so it is prescribed in combination with clavulanic acid. Do not take Amoxicillin with bacteriostatic antibiotics because they reduce the efficiency of Amoxicillin
- Amoxicillin is allowed during pregnancy but only under doctor’s supervision
- Children under 2 years old are prescribed Amoxicillin with cautious.
- Amoxicillin is contraindicated during acute condition of gastric ulcers, asthma, hay fever, allergic diathesis.
- The treatment is continued within 2 days after the disappearance of the medical signs of the infection
In seldom cases, the use of Amoxicillin may be accompanied by the light side effects: joint pain, change in taste, nausea, diarrhea, confusion, headache, dizziness, and tachycardia.
All side effects are temporal and completely pass within 2-3 days.