Main information about Celexa
Celexa is an effective antidepressant without evidence side effect. This is one of the “softest” and safest drugs for the depression treatment which does not cause a medical and psychological addiction. It includes an ingredient Citalopram.
Celexa inhibits the depression symptoms by means of blocking of serotonin reuptake. It increases the action of serotonin and a concentration of this neurotransmitter in the neurons of the brain. The upward trend of the depression treatment appears in 2 weeks after the use of Celexa. The medical studies of the drug have shown that it does not influence on the cardiac conducting system and the blood pressure, functions of kidneys and liver. At the same time, the side effects have been recorded in 2% of patients who regularly took Celexa for the depression treatment.
If the body weight grows during the use of the antidepressants, this effect is hardly probable during the use of Celexa. This medicine does not influence on the satiation center in the brain and does not cause a persistent feeling of hunger. A sedative effect is absent during the use of Celexa.
The action of Celexa is narrow. This drug may be used only in the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsory disorders, and panic disorders. In case of the acute mental disorders, this antidepressant will not help.
Administration and dose of Celexa
In the treatment of depression, the use of Celexa is started from the minimal daily dose of 10 mg. The tablets should be taken once per day in the morning before breakfast. If necessary, the dose is gradually increased by 10 mg every 7 days. Themaximaldailydoseof Celexa is 60 mg. Depending on the medical image, the depression treatment may last for 6 to 12 months.
Recommendations for the use
- If you are taking high doses of Celexa, a sudden treatment interruption will cause side effects. The dose should be gradually decreased by 1- mg every 5-7 days for the safe cancellation of the use of Celexa
- MAO inhibitors are incompatible with Celexa, and therefore do not take them together. If you took MAO inhibitors, the use of Celexa may be started in 2 weeks.
- If a patient has a heartbeat disorder (bradycardia), the use of Celexa may enhance the symptoms of this disease. It is necessary to control the heart work and regularly visit a cardiologist
- Celexa is not used by children under 17 years old, and patients with maniac state to treat depression
- Pregnant women may be prohibited to take Celexa. Consult a physician or pharmacist
- Do not consume alcohol during the treatment
In comparison with other antidepressants of SSRIs, Celexa is well tolerated and does not cause an evident side effect. But still, some patients may experience different negative reactions: decreased frequency of the heart rate, dizziness, asthenia, dry mouth, and constipation.
In case of the overdose with Celexa, acute psychoses, allergic reaction, serotonin syndrome and libido disorder may happen.
If the signs of the overdose or an allergic reaction appeared, stop taking Celexa and consult a doctor as soon as possible.