What is Inderal ?
Inderal is a medical product for the treatment of the cardiovascular diseases of the broad-spectrum action which has been approved by FDA.
The main active ingredient of Inderal is Propranolol, a non-selective beta-adrenoceptor. Inhibiting beta-adrenoceptor the adrenergic heart stimulation is reduced, so that the heart works better.
In case of cardiac angina, the action of Inderal is related to the bradycardia. As a result of the medicine action, the cardiac output is increased during the physical activity, and the amount of oxygen is reduced which is needed for the normal work of the heart.
The reduction of the load to the heart and frequency of the contraction helps to control the increased arterial pressure and guarantee a stable hypotensive effect in the future.
Propranolol does not influence on beta-adrenoceptors selectively but it provides the action to beta 1 receptors as well as to beta 2 receptors. Due to this reason, Inderal acts to the receptors which are responsible for the work of the cardiovascular system and to the mechanism of the respiratory system.
Taking Inderal there is a reduction of synthesis of aqueous humour, so that the intraocular pressure is lowered.
Due to blocking beta2-adrenoceptors Inderal increases the tone of bronchi, and may cause impulsive uterus involution.
Directions for the use of Inderal:
- Cardiac ischemia
- Arterial hypertension
- Tachycardia (paroxysmal and sinus)
- Auricular flutter
- Unstable angina
- Myocardial infarction
Inderal helps to affect the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal syndrome, and also inhibit anxiety and migraine.
How and in what does should be Inderal used?
The dosage regimen of Inderal and scheme of the treatment depends only on diagnosis of a patient and intensity of the disease symptoms. The dose may be adjusted within a treatment depending on the efficiency of the prescribed dose and presence of the additional medicines.
- The initial dose of Inderal is 20 mg 3 times per day for the treatment of stenocardia, arrhythmia, and tachycardia
- Patients are recommended to start the treatment of the arterial hypertension from the dose of Inderal 40 mg 2 times per day.
- To achieve the optimal therapeutic effect, the dose may be gradually increased by 20-40 mg per day
- The maximal daily dose of Inderal is 320 mg (the daily dose is divided into 3 times 120 mg).
Using Inderal as an accelerator partus, the pills are taken every 30-40 minutes, 20 mg (from 4 to 6 times per day). In case of oxygen deficiency of fetus, the dose is decreased, or the medication is taken 2-4 times per day.
- The daily dose should be reduced in case of hepatic dysfunctions
- At the beginning of the treatment, a regular everyday control of the arterial pressure and frequency of the heart beats is required
- The efficiency of Inderal is lowered in smoking patients
- Do not take beverage drinks during the treatment
- Do not terminate the treatment because of the possible development of severe arrhythmia and myocardial infarction. The termination is done gradually by lowering the dose within 2 weeks (by 20 mg every 3-4 days).
- As a result of the bronchi tone increase while taking Inderal, patients with bronchial asthma are contraindicated to take this medication.
Inderal is not recommended during pregnancy because the action of Propranolol to the development of fetus is not completely studied.
Possible side effects
Nausea, vomiting, bradycardia, hypotension, dizziness, short breathing, weakness, and bronchospasm are the side effect which may happen during the use of Inderal.
These side effects do not required the termination of the use, however, if they do not pass and bring discomfort, the daily dose of Inderal can be temporarily reduced.