Main information about Zovirax
Zovirax is an advanced development of the pharmaceutical industry created for the effective treatment of the infectious diseases caused by herpes virus. This is a drug of the new generation which contains an active ingredient Acyclovir.
The use of Zovirax stops an inflammatory process and accelerates a regeneration of the skin in the sites of the herpes virus attack. This drug accelerates a healing of the external herpes symptoms and also breaks an activity of the virus on the cellular level.
The active ingredients of Zovirax are placed on the DNA structure of the active herpes virus and break biological processes. As a result, herpes virus loses an ability to develop and goes to the latent form.
Zovirax is active during any forms of herpes virus: primary and recurrent genital herpes, labial herpes, herpes zoster, chickenpox, etc.. This drug is used for the prevention of the herpetic infection in patients with bone marrow transplant and patients with immunodeficiency.
Use and dose of Zovirax
Zovirax is produced in pills and in the form of ointment for the external application. A choice of the medical form depends on the site of the infection and a general medical image. In some cases, patients are prescribed Zovirax for the internal and external applications in order to have a complex action to the herpes symptoms.
Scheme of the use of Zovirax in pills:
- To treat herpes virus type 1 and 2, patients should take Zovirax 200 mg 5 times per day within 10 days
- To treat chickenpox, it is necessary to take Zovirax 800 mg 5 times per day within 7-10 days
- To reduce relapses of the genital herpes, Zovirax 200 mg is used 2 times per day (in the morning and evening) within 12 months
Scheme of the use of Zovirax cream
Cream is applied with a thin layer to the affected parts of the skin 5 times per day (evert 4 hours). Zovirax cream should not be rubbed, it is quickly absorbed into the skin. The treatment is continued within 5-10 days till the skin is healed. Avoid reaching the cream into the eyes and healthy parts of the skin.
Recommendations for the use
- Patients with kidney pathologies should take Zovirax in the lowered dose. A correct dose is selected by a physician on the basis of the previous examination of the kiendys
- If using Zovirax causes an allergic reaction, the treatment should be stopped. Perhaps, you have an individual intolerance of Acyclovir.
- Zovirax is not toxic and does not cause a medical addiction. But this medicine should be carefully use during pregnancy and only by doctor’s recommendation
- When follicles appear on the skin during the use of Zovirax, do not open it in order to avoid spreading the virus to the other parts of the skin
- The use of Zovirax does not protect against genital herpes. Do not have sex during the acute symptoms of the genital herpes
Patients taking Zovirax pills may have nausea, headache, dizziness, fatigue and sleepiness.
In case of the external application of Zovirax cream, there is a chance of the development of other side effects: itching, dryness, peeling, redness around the application of the drug, and burning sensation.